Toggle mobile menu visibility

Neurodevelopmental services

Where to get support for your neurodiverse child

Healthy child programme

All children and young people develop in different ways and at different rates, but it's useful to know what to expect.

The healthy child programme team provide information and advice about child development on the Just One Norfolk website, including:

You can also contact the healthy child programme team for advice by phone or text.

Support from your child's place of learning

Your child does not need to have a clinical diagnosis to get special educational needs support.

If your child has difficulties with learning, their early years' keyworker or teacher will adapt teaching methods and materials to suit the child's style and rate of learning.

If there are still concerns, your child may have special educational needs (SEN) and SEN Support will be put in place.

Support from your child's GP

Talk to your child's GP about your concerns.

They can give you advice about your child's behaviour and development. They may decide to ask your local neurodevelopmental team to see your child. This is called making a referral.

It's a good idea to write some notes to help you explain what's causing your concerns.

Your notes might include things you've observed about their:

  • Behaviour and how they interact with other people
  • Communication and language skills
  • Ability to learn and understand new information

Support without a referral

Your GP may decide that the neurodevelopmental team do not need to see your child. They will explain the reasons for this decision and what you can do next. Find out where to get more advice and support. 

Private assessments

If you decide you would like your child to have a private assessment, there are important issues to consider first. Find out more about private neurodevelopmental assessments.