Cookie Consent by Vehicle access (dropped kerb) - Norfolk County Council

Vehicle access (dropped kerb)

Residential vehicle access crossings, also known as 'dropped kerbs' provide the legal means to allow a householder to access their property safely and easily when using a car or other domestic vehicle.  The kerbs, where present, are dropped from their normal height and the pavement or verge is strengthened to take the weight of the vehicle crossing it.

The cost will vary depending on the situation. We will give you a quote after you apply. Please note that it can take between 3 to 6 weeks to process your application and send a quotation for the works depending upon whether or not a site inspection is required.

Before you begin

If you are a tenant or leaseholder you must provide written consent from the property owner that the works may be undertaken. A copy of the consent can be uploaded into the form.

To complete this form you will need to provide the following information, which can be uploaded into the form:

  • A detailed sketch/plan or photograph(s) showing the layout and position of the proposed access, including all dimensions
  • Show lamp columns, trees, manholes, watercourses and other similar obstructions on the sketch/plan/photograph(s)
  • If porous material is not being used to the surface of the adjacent driveway show appropriate proposed drainage system

The diagram below shows a typical layout for a vehicle crossing, as viewed from above your house.

Apply online

Example drawing

Dimensions a to f need to be shown on your sketch/plan/photograph(s) of the proposed access and parking area.

  1. Distance from the house to the public footpath (front garden length) must be a minimum of 4.8 metres or 6 metres if parking area is in front of a garage or door
  2. Distance from the far left of the property to the upper left corner of the crossing (length of your front left fence, if you have one)
  3. Width of the upper part of the crossing (normally 2.75 metres - 3 № edgings)
  4. Distance from the upper right corner of the crossing to the far right of the property (length of your front right fence, if you have one)
  5. Width of the lower part of the crossing (normally 3.66 metres - 4 № dropped kerbs excluding dropper kerbs to each end)
  6. Width of verge/footway

Was this webpage helpful?