Cookie Consent by Highways licences and permits - Norfolk County Council

Highways licences and permits

You are legally required to apply for permission to carry out work, roadworks, streetworks or other notifiable activities on the public highway. Apply for works in Norfolk using the options below.

You can apply online, where available, email the completed form to or print the form and return it to:

Highways Permits and Licences, Norfolk County Council, County Hall, Martineau Lane, Norwich, NR1 2DH

Fees and charges



Play Streets

Norfolk Car Free Day

Carnivals, sporting events and other celebrations

Banners over the highway


A scaffold/hoardings licence is required if the scaffold is to be placed on the public highway, which is applied for by scaffold companies registered with Norfolk County Council.



A licence is required for a skip if is going to be placed on the public highway (verge, path, or road).  You need to apply for a licence every time you wish to place a skip on the highway.  This is a statutory requirement.

A licence is not required if the skip is to be placed on private property.

Street furniture (benches, bins etc)


We have no powers to give consent or charge traders operating from lay-bys.

We do not take any preventative action to stop trading provided that the following conditions apply:

  • There is no danger or obstruction to traffic resulting from the presence of the stall, van, stand etc.  Should the position of the site cause an obstruction we have no authority to move immediately.  The only authority who can request that someone ceases an obstruction is the Police
  • There is no nuisance to adjoining landowners or persons
  • The traders leave the site daily when trading ceases
  • The Public Health Authority is satisfied
  • No damage to the highway verge occurs as a result of your presence
  • No signs on the highway


Was this webpage helpful?